X

Blog

How do I gain more business on Facebook?

There is one, tried and tested, guaranteed way to get more business on Facebook.

However, time and time again businesses ignore this method for more complicated, ineffective practices. The truth is, the secret of Social Media success comes down to one simple tip.

So, right now you might be thinking it all sounds too be good to be true. That I’m going to take you down another one of those “Pay $99 to join my one time, all exclusive webinar” or perhaps an offer to join my new “Social Media Circle, strictly limited to you and just 1,000 of your friends”.

Well I’m sorry to disappoint, but it really is as simple as one line of advice. And I’m not going to be asking you to put down any money, spend any time listening to my webinar, or inviting you to a club to hear it.

The secret to winning at Social Media is really quite simple. It can be boiled down to just 6 words.

“Provide a good product or service.”

Now, of course that is never as fun as integrating your Twitter feed with your Facebook Fan Page. Hiring your designer to produce a new fancy cover photo for your Google+ page or inviting 10 of your friends to dance in the street on Saturday as part of your flashmob for YouTube. But trust me: it works.

Live up to your hype

During the past few weeks I’ve watched with interest as a series of new eateries have used social media platforms to build interest in their new venues. They have used the full mix of great and engaging content, building suspense and interest, a carefully constructed tone of voice and supported all this with paid-for advertising and sponsored stories.

On the surface their efforts appear to have been highly effective: customers have been flocking to them to try out the new dishes for themselves. But it’s when these customers leave that the real results of their efforts can be seen. It’s what the customer actually thinks about the product or service that matters to their long term success – not what the social media manager said about them during the lead up.

So what did the customer say?

facebook-negative-comment

facebook-negative-comment

Now it may be that these customers’ experiences were unusual or unfair, only time will tell. However, it is important for those businesses to take the feedback on board and ensure that they have a process to deal with them.

If it turns out these venues can’t live up to the hype they created, no amount of social media is going to help them.

You might be thinking this only applies to food businesses, but take a look for yourself. The Facebook news feed, just like other social platforms, is littered with examples of companies who put hype before delivering a better product or service.

Marketing your business on social media will go a long way to bringing those first and important customers to your door, only a good product or service can keep them coming back.

Have you had a bad experience with a product or brand that looked good on Social Media? Add your story in the comments below.

Tags:

About the Author

I’m fascinated by how a company or organisation can change its fortunes and even undergo a transformation by looking at a challenge in a different way and by behaving in different ways.

9 Comments

1. Gavan Says :
    Posted on October 30, 2013 at 11:31 am

Great stuff Aren….. we need to talk!

• Aren Grimshaw
      Posted on October 30, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Thanks Gavan, been keeping an eye on your Facebook posts since the start. I love your guys’ regular image posts, stunning! Anytime you want to grab a coffee just let me know.

2. Richard Horsfield Says :
    Posted on October 30, 2013 at 11:46 am

Excellent article Aren, and absolutely true.

• Aren Grimshaw
      Posted on October 30, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Thanks Richard.

3. David McGuire Says :
    Posted on October 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I think the point is that social media takes what people are saying about your company – whether good or bad – and amplifies it.

To make the most of social media, make sure people have good stuff to say.

• Aren Grimshaw
      Posted on October 30, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Totally! Thanks David.

4. Rob Edlin
    Posted on October 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I was the initiator of one of these threads and the establishment in question still hasn’t replied to my tweet or FB comments which were quite constructive. But they continue to ignore me and post about new initiatives! We won’t be frequenting that establishment again!

• Aren Grimshaw
      Posted on October 30, 2013 at 5:34 pm

It’s a real shame, I was really look forward to their opening (as you know I have a real thing for their particular style of food). Given how many meals you host in the city they’ll be losing a significant amount of business as a result of their failure to respond – silly when they put so much effort into pre-launch promotion. Keep me posted on any response you do get.

5. Taor Morris Says :
    Posted on October 30, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Aren, great piece and could not a agree more.

I had a very bad experience once back in Kent. It was with a mobile beauty lady. She had on Facebook the usual istockphoto images to showcase the services she provided,. She had an offer going for Free 30min Facials as at that time she was trying to gain her ‘Likes’. A friend of mine that I had made through one of the networking groups also took her up on this offer and had one of her facials before me. I asked my friend before I had mine, how her facial was and she replied with, ‘it was nice and relaxing, I smelt like orange blossoms afterwards’. So in my mind I thought wow this sounds good.

The next day the lady comes to my house to give me this facial. She turns up in her clinical white uniform with a wheeled suitcase she had an extremely hairy face (no offence but wasn’t what I expected for some in the Health and Beauty world). She puts her bag on my sofa opens it and all her creams had no lids on them and this cream was smeared all inside this case. She started getting toilet paper to clean her bag and explained that the manufacturer of the products had dodgy products etc etc. At this point I wanted her to just leave but she tells me to get on my bed, and starts smearing this thick white cream on my face. Well it didn’t smell like orange blossoms, all I could smell was her cigarette smoke on her hands and smoke on her clothing. I felt dirty, I just wanted a good scrub. She didn’t put your hair back with those bands either so you can just imagine what I looked like afterwards. She left my house with a dodgy smell in the air and the cream she put on my face made me come up in a huge rash, I had infected skin for about 2 months.

I phoned my friend afterwards and said ‘D how was your facial really?’ and she said ‘well I wouldn’t recommend her to my high end clients, I could only recommend her to school mothers’. I said ‘well I would not recommend her full stop, she should not be in the Health and Beauty sector’.

My experience after that is if you use certain companies from Social Media look at their photos, website and check for genuine testimonials and reviews, because you might not get what you expect.